(This is a very tasty recipe and a good way to get rid of summer squash. I substitute summer squash for the zucchini and it works just as well. You can always cut these into single servings and freeze them for another time.)
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
Combine in large bowl
- 2-3 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup plain yogurt (or kefir if that’s what you have)
- ½ cup coconut or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine in separate bowl and beat with fork. Stir into zucchini mixture. Spread evenly into greased 9x13-inch pan.
- ½-1 cup chocolate chips (semisweet or otherwise)
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
Sprinkle on top of batter. Bake in preheated oven at 350F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
(summer squash is interchangeable with zucchini)
makes 2 9x5 inch loaves
From Derek’s Mom
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup coconut or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini/summer squash
- 1 can (8 ¼ oz) crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts (or any other nut/seed) optional
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans; set aside.
In a bowl, beat eggs until frothy; beat in sugar, oil and vanilla and continue beating until mixture is thick and foamy. Feel free to use an electric mixer.
Stir in zucchini/summer squash and pineapple. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and nuts; add to zucchini mixture and stir just until all flour is moistened. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Makes 2 loaves.