Grilled Radicchio Salad with Sherry-Mustard Dressing
Servings: Makes 6 servings.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus additional for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon Sherry wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 6 green onions, trimmed
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, quartered lengthwise with some core still attached to each piece
- 1 large head of red leaf lettuce, quartered lengthwise with some core still attached to each piece
- 1 medium head of radicchio, quartered through core, with some core still attached to each piece
Whisk 3 tablespoons olive oil and next 4 ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange green onions, lettuces, and radicchio on baking sheets. Drizzle lightly with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill vegetables until beginning to wilt, 1 minute per side for red leaf lettuce, 1 1/2 minutes per side for romaine, 2 minutes per side for green onions, and 3 minutes per side for radicchio. Transfer vegetables to baking sheets.
Cut cores from all grilled greens. Cut grilled radicchio crosswise into 1-inch-wide strips. Cut grilled lettuces crosswise into 2-inch-wide strips; chop green onions. Place vegetables in large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat.
Risotto with Radicchio and Smoked Mozzarella
- 5 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock, more if needed
- 1 cup water, more if needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 head radicchio (about 1/2 pound), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound smoked mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and water to a simmer. In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the rice to the pot and stir until it begins to turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until all the wine has been absorbed.
3. Add about 1/2 cup of the simmering broth to the rice and cook, stirring frequently, until the broth has been completely absorbed. The rice and broth should bubble gently; adjust the heat as needed. Continue cooking the rice, adding broth 1/2 cup at a time and allowing the rice to absorb the broth before adding the next 1/2 cup. Cook the rice in this way until almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add the radicchio and parsley and cook until the radicchio and the rice are tender, about 5 minutes more. The broth that hasn't been absorbed should be thickened by the starch from the rice. You may not need to use all of the liquid, or you may need more broth or some water.
4. Stir the pepper and the butter into the risotto. Add the mozzarella and stir until it melts into a web.
Garlic Roasted Radicchio
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 large heads radicchio, halved through the root
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. Place the garlic, olive oil, rosemary, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Add the radicchio and gently toss so that it is well coated. Cover and let marinate at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
3. Place the radicchio in a baking pan and pour the marinade on top. Place in the oven and roast until the edges of the radiccio are crisp and almost beginning to look burnt, about 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Serve immediately, with grated Parmesan cheese.
Radicchio with smoked mozzarella, balsamic vinegar, and prosciutto
Active time: 15 min
Start to finish: 1 hr
Servings: Makes 4 (side dish) servings.
- 2 medium heads radicchio (1 1/2 lb total), each cut into 6 wedges and cored
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 oz smoked mozzarella, sliced and torn into pieces
- 2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto
Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 425°F.
Arrange radicchio wedges, cut sides up, in a 2 1/2-quart shallow glass or ceramic baking dish (11 by 7 inches), then drizzle with oil and vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast radicchio, turning over once or twice, until wilted and tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
Arrange cheese over radicchio, then arrange prosciutto over cheese and roast until cheese is just melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Power Up Slaw with the Italian Redhead
Coleslaw—from the Dutch koolsla or “cabbage salad”— is a cool salad in any language. From Indonesian or Thai cucumber-carrot and rice vinegar to accompany satay to North Carolina vinegar slaw for topping pulled pork, slaw is delicious and refreshing in any culinary tradition.
Radicchio, with its fresh, assertive bite and brilliant ruby color, gives slaw a stylish look and fresh flavor. The bitter flavor of radicchio pairs so well with other strong flavors featured in slaw—vinegar, mustard, sugar, soy sauce, citrus, onion, bacon, sour cream—that it’s a “must” for adding to your favorite slaw recipe.
- Toss radicchio with shredded Napa cabbage, green onions, chopped almonds, mandarin orange segments and a sweet-sour vinaigrette with a touch of mustard.
- Shred radicchio, toss with some chopped green cabbage, diced mango, minced jalapeno, sliced red onion and a fresh lime juice vinaigrette with a drizzle of honey and pinch of chili powder.
- Chop a tart-crisp apple; toss with shredded radicchio, raisins and pecans; dress with a creamy buttermilk dressing.
- Peel, seed, thinly slice cucumber; toss with shredded radicchio and a creamy poppyseed dressing; garnish with sliced strawberries.
- Coarsely shred radicchio and carrot; toss with a vinaigrette spiked with a bit of sesame oil and hoisin sauce. Garnish with sliced green onion, fried wonton pieces and toasted sesame seed.
- Toss coarsely chopped radicchio with baby spinach leaves, fresh grapefruit segments, golden raisins, thinly sliced onion; dress with a balsamic vinaigrette.
- Gently combine shredded radicchio and green cabbage, chopped dates, sliced oranges and toasted almonds; dress with a walnut oil and lemon juice vinaigrette. Top with a little crumbled bacon.
- Combine shredded radicchio with cabbage-and-carrot slaw mix, add sliced green onion; dress with a Thai peanut dressing and some fresh lime juice, garnish with toasted peanuts and lots of chopped cilantro.
- Toss finely chopped radicchio with baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced red onion and chopped toasted hazelnuts; dress with sweet-sour vinaigrette, crumbled bacon and celery seed.
- Coarsely shred radicchio, toss with cooked & cooled wild rice, halved green or red grapes, chopped pecans, chopped green onion; drizzle with a balsamic vinaigrette and top with crumbled blue cheese.
- Dress coarsely shredded radicchio and shredded carrot with a sweet-sour vinaigrette; add chopped apple, toasted walnuts and fresh dill.