Endive and Frisee Salad with Oranges
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil or hazelnut oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 2 heads frisee lettuce, center leaves only, torn into pieces
- 2 blood oranges or regular oranges, segmented
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
Whisk the balsamic vinegar, shallots, and honey in a medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Toss the endive and frisee in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mound the salad onto plates. Surround with the orange segments. Sprinkle with hazelnuts. Drizzle any remaining vinaigrette around the salads and serve immediately.
Salad Frisee with Endive, Canadian Bacon, and Croutons
- 2 Belgian endives washed
- Salt and papper
- 1 lg Head of Chicory lettuce
- 4 oz Thickly sliced Canadian
- 6 tbsp Walnut oil
- 4 Thin slices from a loaf of French bread
- 2 tbsp Red wine vinegar
Put the endive and chicory lettuce in a large bowl.
Put the rounds of french bread (cut into quarters) in the over to toast, sauté the Canadian bacon in a small frying pan in the walnut oil till crispy on the outside (in Belgium they used smoked pork belly) then scatter the bacon on the salad.
Turn off the flame under the fry-pan, deglaze the pan with the vinegar, pour the warm vinaigrette over the salad, add in the croutons and toss gently.
Serve with more french bread, a bit of cheese, and Saison Dupont.
Frisée and Endive Salad with Pears and Blue Cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 heads of frisée (about 1 1/4 pounds), torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 large endives (about 1 pound)—halved, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ripe Bartlett pears—peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese (5 ounces)
In a large salad bowl, whisk the balsamic and sherry vinegars with the shallot and mustard.
Slowly whisk in the olive oil, then the hazelnut and walnut oils.
Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper.
Add the frisée and endives and toss to coat.
Add the pears and blue cheese and toss gently.
Serve the salad right away.