Curried Butternut Squash Bisque
- 1 medium Butternut squash (approx 1 ¾ lb)
- 1 T. butter
- ¾ cup onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 t. curry powder
- ¼ t. grated nutmeg
- 2 T. flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
- 4 C. chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 T. tomato paste
- ½ C. half and half (heavy cream or milk)
- 1 T. minced fresh sage or ½ t. dried sage (plus whole sage leaves to garnish)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Halve and seed the squash. Wrap in foil and bake for 1 ½ hours, or until squeezable to the center. Remove and cool enough to handle, scoop out the pulp. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add onion, garlic and apple and cook over low heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add curry, nutmeg, and flour until the flour disappears.
4. With a food processor or food mill, puree the onion-and-apple mixture along with the squash and 1 cup of broth. Return the puree to the pot and stir in the tomato paste, half-and-half (or milk), minced sage, remaining 3 cups of broth, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until beginning to boil. Garnish with sage leaves and serve.
Butternut Sage Orzo
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- In large frypan sauté over medium heat in 1 tablespoon oil until tender, about 6 minutes
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
Add and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch)
Add and stir to coat
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup white wine or additional broth
Add and simmer until squash is almost tender and liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes
- 4 cups water or broth
- 1 cup orzo
While squash cooks bring liquid to a boil in a large saucepan and add orzo. Boil until tender but still firm to bite, about 8 minutes. Drain, transfer to a large bowl. Stir in squash mixture.
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage (chopped; or 1 ½ teaspoons dried)
Stir in. Salt and pepper to taste.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups mashed, cooked butternut squash
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. ground nutmeg
- ¼ t. ground ginger
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans (or nut of your choice)
- ¼ t. ground allspice
- 2 ½ t. baking powder
(optional: replace raisins with 1 cup chocolate chips)
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in the eggs and squash. In separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices; add to the mixture, stirring until well blended. Stir in raisins and nuts. Spoon onto cookie sheets spacing cookies 2 inches apart.
3. Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven, until edges are golden.